The year 2016 was one of calm and tranquil colors, bold metallic accents, and stark white everything! And while we aren’t quite ready to say goodbye to some trends (Marble?! Subway tile?! Say it isn’t so!), we are ready to breathe some life and color back into our lives in 2017. So, in honor of the imminent calendar change, we’ve compiled our top 5 practical interior design trends that are going to be everywhere in 2017!
- Clean Lines- Yes, this is a carry over from 2016 but it’s still relevant. Classic looks like upholstered headboards, modern round tables, and repurposed vintage furniture will be key features. While we’re embracing color on the walls again (yay!), crisp whites, cool grays, and neutral wood tones are mainstays for furniture in 2017. Farmhouse chic is still king this year but keep an eye on mid-century modern design as it pulls in for a close second.
- Cork- Move over chalkboard, cork is having a moment in 2017! And no, it’s not just your typical office cork memo board, it’s so much more! Think an entire accent wall behind a desk, stylish cork floors, and even furniture pieces! Not only is cork a chic design piece but it is also eco-friendly since it is harvested from only the bark of the Cork Oak tree and does not harm the health of the plant.
- Greens- Plants, paint, and furniture, green is showing up everywhere this year! Pantone, the world’s authority on color, has announced that the 2017 Color of the Year will be Greenery, “fresh and zesty yellow-green shade that evokes the first days of spring when nature’s greens revive, restore and renew.” We don’t know about you, but we’re ready to add fresh touches of greenery wherever possible.
- Wallpaper- Did we just hear a collective groan? It’s ok, we’ll give you a minute to collect yourself. Yes, wallpaper has been gradually making a comeback over the last year or so and it’s going to be back again in full force in 2017. Not to worry, this isn’t your grandmother’s wallpaper. We’re talking about modern geometric shapes, photorealistic murals, and even barely there prints. And thanks to 30 years of technological improvements wallpaper is now easier to remove than ever with many options even being considered temporary. It’s ok if you still are not ready to commit to a full room of pattern as we’re still seeing lot’s of wallpapered accent walls this year. It’s ok you can jump into this one slowly.
- Terracotta- We’re taking a step away from 2016’s rich metallics and replacing them with earthy tones like terracotta. Yes, that means unpainted red brick and terracotta flower pots are back and better than ever! May we suggest even a buttery, terracotta colored leather chair to round out this design influence? Between Pantone’s Greenery, terracotta, and the farmhouse look, nature-inspired design is going to reign supreme this year.
So what’s out in 2017?
In 2017 we’re going to see the decline in trends like:
- White marble
- Subway tile
- All white rooms
- Gray everything
No matter what’s in or what’s out this year what you decide to put in your home should be a reflection of yourself and your personal style. Don’t stress about incorporating everything into your home especially if it isn’t your thing. And if you aren’t ready to let go of your copper accent pieces and chevron throw pillows then don’t! When you’re ready to take the plunge into your new 2017 style ideas let the experts at Bob Wagner’s Flooring America make the transition easy! You can even shop from the comfort of your own home. Click here to schedule your appointment.